The World through Tippe's Eyes

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.
~Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Random Thoughts on Hard Things

You know what's a good way to open up great opportunities in life? Take something that is hard for you. Something you are not good at. And learn it. Master it as well as you can. And you will be a better person for it. Condelezza Rice spoke at BYU in January and she talked about how that's the way to improve ourselves as individuals. And I believe it's true! In America no one likes to do hard things anymore! We are so specialized that we don't really have to. I know it's true for me. My whole life I have only done things I am good at. Perhaps this is why people think I excel in school and all, but it's just that I know my strengths and I play off of them. I don't do math or science because I haven't kept those skills up. It was too much work. I don't have the time, focus, or patience to learn math stuff for now, so I decided to tackle my hatred of running this year in order to tackle that fear and road block in my life and become a "better" person. So I signed up for 3 half marathon this year! My first one is in two weeks. How crazy is that?

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, you're running a half marathon next week? Good for you!

    ReplyDelete